Happy Sunday Ya’ll!
With a new week ahead of us, it’s time for a fresh start! I wanted to share some of my own personal tips when it comes to binge eating at night. I don’t know about you all, but during the evening is the hardest for me when it comes to wanting to munch. I do great throughout the day, but once my husband comes home from work and my kids eat dinner, they can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound. I’m not so lucky. I watch my husband eat and gain the pounds. So, I started to incorporate some ways to refrain from binge eating at night. In the end, it all boils down to self-control. You need to tell your mind you don’t need those chips or those delicious chocolate chip cookies. Everyone has their own ways to refrain from overeating, but here are a few of mine that seem to work out great!
- Drink Water. This is a pretty common tip. Drinking tons of water tricks your mind into thinking you are full. So, when your body tells you they want a snack, chug a glass of water. You should feel fuller and that craving will hopefully subside. Water is the best thing you could possibly drink when trying to lose weight.
- Brush Your Teeth. For me, after I brush my teeth I don’t want to eat anything. For some reason, when my teeth are clean and that minty taste is stuck in my mouth, I don’t want to get rid of it. It also curbs my hunger immensely. Plus, you can never brush your teeth too many times. It’s a win win.
- Eat When Your Kids Eat. I am the Queen of picking off my kid’s plate when they are eating dinner. If they don’t want their chicken nuggets, I’ll grab it. Don’t even get my started on stealing french fries. I’ve learned to have my meal prepared at the same time as theirs so I can concentrate more on eating my food then theirs. Then when they are finished, I take it right to the trash can and dump it out. No more picking for this Mama.
- Walk Away From The Kitchen. If you’re not eating, don’t sit in the kitchen. It’ll give you the urge to rummage through the cabinets. If my husband or kids decide to eat before I’m hungry, I make their plates and either walk in the living room, or clean the house a little (vacuum, dust, work in laundry, etc.). I try not to think about food until I’m ready for my meal.
- Whiten Your Teeth. Yes, this is a totally crazy tip, but one of my favorites! I’ve recently gotten into whitening my teeth. I’ll put the strips on for an hour a day, and of course you can’t eat while you have them in. With all that said, the perfect time for whitening is in the evening. I’ll put those on, and it’ll keep me from eating for a good hour. Plus, your teeth get whiter! Another win!
- Exercise. When you get the urge to eat, just start working out. Do a few squats, hop in the treadmill for a little. Exercising seems to control your hunger. Just sweat that craving right out of you, and you’ll feel better then you did before. Also, if I work out right before dinner, I tend to feel fuller with my meal.
- Have Snacks During The Day. When I say have snacks, I don’t mean grab a handful of chips or eat some chocolate. In between meals during the day, have a small snack. Eat some almonds or a protein bar. I like to eat three meals a day and two snacks in between those meals. This really helps me from picking at night.
8. Keep Motivation All Around Your House. Post some pictures on your refrigerator of some fitness quotes, or the body you are working towards. I have my letter board in my living room to remind me every day that ‘I Got This’ and I can do whatever I put my mind too. I take one glance as those motivational posts, and hop right back on track.
Give some of these tips a try and let me know what you think! As I said before, these are tips that personally help me. Don’t get discouraged if they aren’t effective for you. Do some trial and error, research and find what’s best for your body and mind. But always remember to try and have self-control.
Follow my fitness page for extra motivation! @kcunnifit